Potato soup with carrots, celery, bacon and onions
- 1 pound bacon , roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups heavy cream
- In a 6 to 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish.
- In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and half of the bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture.
- Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness by adding water or stock.
- Soup should have a creamy consistency.
- Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.