Seared Sea Scallops and Vegetable Slaw
Seared scallops served with a vegetable salad
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 3/4 cup chopper red pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt, freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds sea scallops (approximately 16)
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes
- Remove the small side muscle from each scallop, rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Salt the scallops.
- Add the butter and oil to a saute pan over high heat. As pan begins to smoke, add the scallops, making sure they do not touch each other. Sear for 1-1/2 minutes each side; they will have a golden crust but still be translucent in the center.
- Serve immediately with vegetable slaw.