A caramelized maple sugar delight
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 oz. whole milk
- 12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) granulated sugar
- 12 oz. (15 eggs) egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- Heat heavy cream, whole milk and granulated sugar over double boiler until sugar is dissolved (110F). DO NOT WHIP. Stir only.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add 1/3 of cream mixture to egg yolks, stirring to temper egg yolks.
- Add remaining cream mixture.
- Stir to blend well.
- Add maple extract to previous mixture.
- Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer.
- Pour mixture into serving dishes that have been place into two cake pans.
- Add enough water in the bottom of each cake pan to fill 1/4 the way up the serving dishes.
- Bake in a low oven -- 275 degrees -- for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The desserts should be "set" firm but not hard, with a little wiggle when you shake it gently.
- Sprinkle cooled custards with sugar and melt with a torch.