A combination of crisp buttery bread crust and soft fragrant apples
- 1 sheet shortbread dough
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 8 lbs apples (approx 17 medium cored, peeled and sliced)
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs. Salt - optional
- 2 cups plus 4 tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tbs. cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 5 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- Divide shortbread dough in half.
- Press half of the dough into bottom of a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake in moderate oven 350° for approximately 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Toss apples with dry mixture in a separate bowl.
- Add to cooled crust, top with remaining crust.
- Cut slits for air escape, brush with an egg white wash and bake for approximately 60 minutes at 350°.
- Mix together in a medium mixing bowl and roll to desired shape.