Top 5 Viewed Disney Recipes
Black Forest Cake Recipe
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that the Black Forest is a wooded mountain range in Baden-Württemberg, southwestern Germany? It is bordered by the Rhine valley to the west and south. The highest peak is the Feldberg with an elevation of 1,493 metres. And you thought it was just a cake...
- 1 chocolate devil's food cake (10-inch diameter)
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sour cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons Kirschwasser (cherry brandy)
- 12 ounces canned sour cherries
- 3 cups chocolate shavings
- Cut the prepared devil's food cake into three equal layers.
- Mix together the sour cherry juice and Kirschwasser.
- In a separate container dissolve the gelatin into the water and place in a double boiler until the mixture becomes clear.
- Let cool, but do not let set.
- Add the powdered sugar together with the heavy cream in a mixer, whip until soft peaks.
- With the mixer running on slow, gradually add the dissolved gelatin mixture to the whipped cream.
- In a 10 inch springform pan place one of the three layers of the cake in the bottom of the pan.
- Brush the cake evenly with the cherry juice mixture.
- Spoon the whipped cream on the cake layer, just thick enough to evenly cover cake layer.
- Then place cherries on top of the whipped cream.
- Cover cherries with whipped cream, although the cherries should still be visible.
- Place the next layer of cake on top.
- Brush the cake evenly again with the cherry juice mixture.
- Spoon another layer of the whipped cream on the cake layer, just thick enough to evenly cover cake layer.
- Place the last layer of the cake on top. This should be the top of the devil's food cake.
- Make sure you place this layer upside down to ensure the cake will be even.
- Again brush the cake with the cherry juice mixture.
- Spoon another layer of the whipped cream on top. The whipped cream should be even with the top of the pan.
- Make sure to smooth out this layer of the whipped cream with a cake spatula.
- Place in a refrigerator until the cake sets.
- Also place any remaining whipped cream in the refrigerator to be used later to garnish the cake.
- Once the cake has set, place a warm cloth around the pan to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Rewhip the remaining whipped cream.
- With a cake spatula, spread an even layer of the whipped cream around the cake and place half of the chocolate shavings around the cake.
- Make sure you cover any open spots around the cake.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate shavings on top of the cake.