Chocolate Pretzels Recipe
Magical Recipes Tip - For added Disney flair, shape the pretzels into Mickey Mouse ears.
- 2 8-inch-by-9 inch sheets of puff pastry dough
- 2 cups butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar to taste (coarse is best)
- Extra powdered sugar to taste
Directions - Sugar Dough
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and salt, then mix in vanilla.
- Slowly mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and fold in flour dry ingredients from step 1.
Directions - Pretzel
- Lay puff pastry sheets out flat. (Sheets should be very cold.)
- Spread chocolate sugar dough onto one sheet of puff pastry, covering completely; then roll to 3/4-inch thickness with rolling pin.
- Place second sheet of puff pasty on top, and trim edges to keep neat.
- Place this dough "sandwich" on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 min.
- After chilling, cut dough into 3/4-inch strips.
- Roll strips by hand and twist to form candy-cane-like appearance.
- Form into pretzel shapes.
- Place pretzels on baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse granulated sugar.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once out of oven and cooled, dust with powdered sugar.