Shepard's Pie Recipe
Ingredients - Pie
- 4 each Puff pastry shells, baked
- ½ batch Cabernet sauce (recipe below)
- ½ batch Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes (recipe below)
- 1 ½ pounds Beef, cooked and shaved (use prime rib)
- ½ batch Aioli (recipe below)
- 1 ½ pints Vegetables, sautéed (red pepper, spinach, mushrooms, and yellow squash)
Ingredients - Cabarnet Sauce
- 1 pint Cabernet sauvignon
- 3 each Shallot, minced
- 1 quart Demi Glace
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Butter
Ingredients - Aioli
- 4 each Garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 each Egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Olive oil
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Ingredients - Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- 4 1/8 pounds Red Potatoes (washed)
- 3 tbsp Chives (cut into 2” pieces)
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Butter (cut into large chunks)
- ½ tbsp Granuated Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions - Pie
- Reheat the shaved beef in the cabernet sauce.
- Hollow out the middle of the puff pastry shells.
- Fill shells with red-skinned mashed potatoes, top with hot shaved beef.
- Spoon the mixed vegetables on top of the beef.
- Using a ketchup bottle filled with Aioli, squirt a zigzag pattern of Aioli over the top of your creation.
Directions - Cabarnet Sauce
- Sauté shallots in butter, add cabernet, and reduce by half.
- Add Demi-Glace and reduce by a third.
- Add sugar, black pepper, and heavy cream – strain and serve.
Directions - Aioli
- Beat eggs until very thick and lemon colored.
- Beat in mashed garlic and salt. Beating constantly, add olive oil, VERY SLOWLY.
- After about half the oil has been added and the mixture is thickening, add vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Then continue adding olive oil slowly, beating until the thick emulsion is formed.
Directions - Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Boil potatoes until they are cooked thoroughly and mash.
- Add heavy cream, butter, and milk, and incorporate together.
- Fold in roasted root vegetables.
- Season, garnish with chives and serve.
Recommended Wine Pairing
- Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Chianti, Beaujolais, Malbec, Petit Sirah
blog comments powered by