Top 5 Viewed Disney Recipes
French Toast Recipe - Tonga Toast
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that Tonga Toast has been on the Kona Cafe menu since 1971? It has been said that Tonga Toast is the most requested recipe from Disney, so it's no wonder that it has been served at Disney's Polynesian Resort for decades since it opened. There is also an Urban Legend being passed down by Disney's cast members and Tonga Toast fans alike that Elvis was a huge fan of the toast. He supposedly sent his personal chef to Disney World to learn how to make it.
- 2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- oil or shortening for frying
- whipped butter and/or syrup
- Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice.
- Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise.
- Remove peel and stuff 2 pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Mix well the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350 degrees F.
- Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread.
- Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels or wire rack.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.