Top 5 Viewed Disney Recipes
Cafe Con Leche Flan Recipe
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that the in addition to being nourishing, flans were thought to soothe the chest, aid the kidneys and liver, increase fertility and eliminate certain urinary tract problems?
Ingredients - Caramel Coating
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
Ingredients - Flan
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons coffee extract
- 5 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
Ingredients - Garnish
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Directions - Caramel Coating
- Butter 6 8-inch ramekins.
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until caramel turns golden brown and runs clear (without traces of granulated sugar).
- Pour the caramel into prepared ramekins and set aside to cool.
Directions - Flan
- Heat both milks and the coffee extract in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until just before boiling; when bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan, remove from heat.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks into the milk mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a casserole pan and fill pan with hot water to reach 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until the skin on the top of the custard is set (no longer sticky).
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Directions - Garnish
- Heat sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until the mixture turns a golden colour (to about 270 degrees; when mixture forms brittle threads when dropped into ice water, it is ready).
- Drizzle onto greased aluminium foil or greased parchment paper in swirls and other desired designs.
- Allow to cool (this takes only a few minutes).
- Remove swirls with a spatula and use to garnish cooled flan, as liberally as desired.