Cottage Pie Recipe
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that the term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791, when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor ("cottage" meaning a modest dwelling for rural workers)?
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground savory
- 1 cup brown gravy
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Additional butter
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a 9-inch skillet.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned, stirring.
- Add beef, salt, pepper and savory and continue cooking 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in gravy and heat until bubbling.
- Spoon into a buttered 8-cup flat casserole dish.
- Top meat mixture with mashed potatoes.
- Dot with pieces of butter.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.