Jack Skellington Sugar Cookies Recipe
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that once a year at Disneyland during the holidays, Haunted Mansion is taken over by the cast of The Nightmare Before Christmas and is turned into Haunted Mansion Holiday? Jack and other characters appear throughout the ride wearing Christmas attire. Additionally, Jack hosts the Anaheim version of the Halloween Screams fireworks show.
Ingredients - Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients - Icing
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Black food coloring paste
Directions - Icing
- Place egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer; whisk until frothy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, until thick but still spreadable.
- Place 1/3 of icing in a separate bowl.
- Add black food coloring paste to reserved icing and stir until color is uniform.
Directions - Baking Cookies
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in three parts.
- Once dough comes together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter or an overturned cup, cut dough into circles about 3 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before icing.
Directions - Decorating Cookies
- Decorate cooled cookies by covering with white icing and letting it dry (placing cookies in the refrigerator will speed up this process).
- Place black icing in a pastry bag or a plastic resealable bag and cut off a tiny bit of the corner to create a very small hole.
- Use black icing to draw eyes, nostrils and stitched mouth on each cookie.