Scalloped potatoes with sweet onions
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup freshley grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium (about 2/3 cup) Maui onion, or any sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter bottom and sides of 9x13x2-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly in cold water and pat dry.
- Pour heavy cream into a very large mixing bowl.
- Slice the potatoes 1/8-inch thick and add them to the mixing bowl; toss in cream until each slice is coated.
- Add cheddar cheese, Parmesan, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Toss until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Spread evenly into buttered baking dish.
- Bake on the center rack for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and brown on the top.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped chives.