Citrus Swirl Frozen Dessert Recipe
Magical Recipes Factoid - Did you know that Disney recently announced the return of Orange Bird and his signature treat, Citrus Swirl, to Sunshine Tree Terrace in Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland? Orange Bird was designed in the 1970s in conjunction with the Florida Citrus Growers’ sponsorship of the Walt Disney World version of The Enchanted Tiki Room. The Growers were actually one of the first sponsors for Walt Disney World attractions when the Magic Kingdom first opened in 1971 and they frequently used the character in television and print ads shown throughout Florida. Orange Bird greeted both children and adults alike at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland where the Citrus Swirl was served. Ironically, for a bird that has his own treat and line of merchandising, Orange Bird doesn’t sing or speak. He’s a very silent bird. In honor of the return of Citrus Swirl to Sunshine Tree Terrace, I created a similar concotion using the ingredients and directions below. As there are no known recipes for it around, I came up with it based on the main ingredients in the treat and from what I remember by tasting it over 20 years ago. If you know of a more tasty version feel free to email it to me.
- 1 12oz can frozen orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Stir frozen orange juice into whipped cream until slightly blended, in large bowl.
- Stir in sugar.
- Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour to 2 hours
- Scoop into cup or cone
- Put on some steel drum music
- Pretend you are in Advetureland and enjoy!
- You're on your own to make the 'swirl'. If you figure it out let me know.