Bread pudding with a delicious banana foster sauce
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 cups french or Ohana breakfast bread
- 4 oz sugar
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 4 oz corn syrup
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup spiced rum
- 1 cup banana slices
- In bowl mix eggs, milk , salt, sugar and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cut bread in medium pieces, place on cookie sheet pan put in 350 degree oven.
- Bake bread until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bread and place in egg and milk mixture.
- Place mixture in a greased 10-inch cake pan and bake at 325 degree for 1 hour.
- Let stand 5 minutes, serve hot with ice cream.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and half of heavy cream in a large pan.
- Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.
- Add spiced rum and flambe.
- Candy will brown slightly; cook 3 minutes until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Add sliced bananas.
- Serve warm.